Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Washington, D.C. here I come!

This summer , July 15-19 to be exact I will be traveling to Washington, D.C. ! This is exciting because I have never been to the east coast but it is more exciting because I will be there for a great purpose!

I have been invited to participate in a very cool policy project through the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (thank you! thank you!) So in July I'll be going to Washington to meet with legislators in Congress to discuss teen dating violence and related policies/laws! I am going to share with them the lessons I have learned from teaching this work in schools and by working with my community.

The only two people invited to represent California are myself and my wonderful teammate Nicole Masuda! What an honor! I know that they have made the right choice selecting us because we come from raw experience and of course we are going to represent our state and our city in such a personal powerful way!

In preparation for our policy trip I have been participating in webinars, phone conferences with people from across the country and other meetings with master coaches.
This is going to be such a great opportunity to learn about the policy-making progress, check out Capitol Hill and to share my voice and be recognized in this field that I am so very passionate about.

Ultimately in life I want to be part of an honorable board , I want to be an established representative for the people, I want to have close ties to people who can create change. I have always been interested in leadership, policy work, becoming mayor ... maybe president ! lol
so this is definitely an opportunity I am dying to experience!





No comments:

Post a Comment